Department of Surgery came into being in June 2003 and rapidly gained momentum. At present, it has 4 full-fledged surgical units. All kinds of general surgical works, laparoscopic works, colo-rectal surgery, thoracic surgery and surgical oncology procedures are undertaken.
Department of Surgery is also supported by super specialty departments like Neurosurgery, Urology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Oncology. The Accident and Emergency Department and the surgical department take care of all the surgical emergencies round the clock.
All working days - 8 AM to 4 PM
The Department of Surgery maintain high academic standards for the MBBS students by encouraging them to participate in discussions, seminars, symposia and integration classes. All modern methods of teaching are used for training these students.The Department of Surgery also has two DNB seats and the present students are given excellent training and opportunities in surgical work.
In addition to all the modern equipments available, a 64-Slice CT and state-of-the-art MRI facility are also provided.
|Date of Birth|
|Dr. Krishna Kumar Marar||Professor and HOD||MS (Gen. Surgery), 1982||13 years||09-07-1953||Profile|
|Dr. G Viswanatha Das||Professor||MS Surgery 1975||11 years||21-05-1947||Profile|
|Dr. P K Mohanan (Sr.)||Professor||MS Surgery 1987||29 years||12-12-1952||Profile|
|Dr. P J Vincent||Professor||MS Surgery 1981||23 years||21-06-1950||Profile|
|Dr. Jayakrishnan Kolady||Professor||MS Surgery 1981||8 years & 1 months||31-10-1954||Profile|
|Dr. Harikumar Unni||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Babu M R||Assistant Professor||MS (Gen. Surgery), 1995||6 years||28-01-1965||Profile|
|Dr. Binu Jose||Assistant Professor||Profile|
|Dr. Varghese Joseph||Assistant Professor||MS (Gen. Surgery), 1988||4 years||28-11-1953||Profile|
|Dr. Mohandas M.V.||Assistant Professor||MS (Gen. Surgery), 1997||4 year 6 months||06-01-1952|
|Dr. K K Rajkumar||Assistant Professor||MS (Gen. Surgery), 1996||3 year||25-04-1964|
|Dr. Arun K V||Assistant Professor||MS (Gen. Surgery)2014||2years 6 months||03-11-1985|
|Dr. Susan Johny||Assistant Professor||MS (Gen. Surgery), 2013||3 year||12-11-1983|
|Dr. Jithin Eldo Paul||Senior Resident||MS (Gen. Surgery), 2014||2 years 5 months||23-05-1984|
|Dr. Renjith Cherian Philip||Senior Resident||MS (Gen. Surgery) 2014||2 years 5 month||14-12-1984|
|Dr. Jithin Joshy K||Senior Resident||MS (Gen. Surgery), 2014||1 year 6 months||31-01-1985|
|Dr. Bipin Thomas Panicker||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Joju Antony Sebastian||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Neil John Mannukaden||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Vysakh R||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Dinraj TV||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Mohammed Rizwan T||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Mebu Joseph Thomas||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Sainath B||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Anjali Ravi Kumar||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Geena George||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Remya Thulaseedharan Pillai||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Sreejith S||Junior Resident|
MS (General Surgery) - 1982
Training Certificate - Surgical Oncology
MBBS in 1979 and MS (General Surgery) in 1987 from Calicut Medical College
Worked in Thrissur Medical College for 25 years and retired in 2008 as Professor & Head of Department of Surgery
Joined Amala Institute of Medical Sciences in 2008
Member, Association of Surgeons of India
Member, Indian Medical Association
MBBS, Pune University. Armed Forces Medical College, Pune.
MS (Gen Surgery) Pune University. Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
Teaching experience of 23 years
Previous positions held:
1. Assistant/Associate Professor in various Military Hospitals
2. Professor of Surgery in Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
3. HOD & Professor of Surgery in RGUHS Bangalore Command Hospital Bangalore
4. HOD & Professor of Surgery in Sree Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences, Ernakulam Dist, Kerala
5. Medical Superindent Sree Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences Ernakulam Dist, Kerala
Membership of Associations:
Association of Surgeons of India
Association of Armed Forces Surgeons
Visishta Seva Medal awarded by President of India - 2006
MBBS from Calicut Medical College in 1974
MS in General Surgery from Calicut Medical College in 1980
Gold Medal in surgery in 1974
Gold Medal in Pathology in 1974
Best student in Anatomy in 1974
Best outgoing student in MS General Surgery from Calicut in 1980
Fellowship in Minimum Access Surgery - FMAS
MBBS from St. John's Medical College, Bengaluru in 1977
MS (General Surgery) from St. John's Medical College, Bengaluru in 1988
Member of IMA (Indian Medical Association)
Completed MBBS in 2000 and DNB (General Surgery) in 2008
Completed MBBS in 1977 and MS General Surgery in 1997 from Calicut Medical College. Joined in Govt. Health Services as Assistant Surgeon in 1982 & retired as District Hospital Superintendent in 2007. Now working as Assistant Professor in the Department of General Surgery from July 5th 2014 onwards. Life member of IMA.
Name of journal: Micro- wave and optical technology letters.
a) A novel method of detecting cervical cancer using microwaves - Volume 50, June 2008
b) Detection of Biliary functional problems using microwaves- Volume 51, January 2009
c) Human pericardial fluid at microwave frquencies - Volume 51, January 2009
1. Unusual development of Granuloma on the healing surface of burn wound associated with MRSA infection.
Burns Vol.22, 57-61 1996
Authors: Gang R K, Bajec J, JAYAKRISHNAN K.
2. Distally based superficial sural flap for Reconstruction of lower leg & foot.
BJPS. Vol. 49.(6) 383-9, 1996.Sept.
Authors: Rajacic N., Darwish M, JAYAKRISHNAN K, Gang R.K., Jojic S.
3. Lower leg Reconstruction using distally based Saphenons Island Flap.
European Journal of Plastic Surgery.
Authors: N Rajacic, R K Gang, JAYAKRISHNAN K, S Kojic
4. Versatality of Free anteriolateral thigh flap - Clinical Experience in a series of 20 patients.
European Journal of Plastic Surgery
Authors: Rajacic N, Gang R K, JAYAKRISHNAN K
5. Thin anteriolateral thigh free flap.
Annals of Plastic Surgery. 48:252 – 257. 2002
Authors: Rajacic N., Gang R.K,JAYAKRISHNAN K., R.L Bang
6. Versatality of the distally based superficial sural flap for reconstruction of the lower leg and foot in children.
Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics. Volume 23 No.2 1-4 2004
Authors: Jayakrishnan Kolady, Raj Kumar Gang, Abdul Aziz Hamsa
7. The Four Point Set Back – A simple, Objective Method to Satisfy Patients in Prominent Ear Surgery.
PRS Vol. 109
Authors: Alexander George
Workshops & Conferences Attended:
1. Update on Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery in Leprosy.
10-12th July 1987. Trivandrum
2. Workshop on SEPTORHINOPLASTY.
From 5-7th March 1990- GT Hospital, Bombay.
3. Thiruvananthapuram Course in Plastic Surgery 18-21st July, 1991- Trivandrum.
4. MICROSURGERY COURSE
From 23.10.94 to 11.12.94 at Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait.
5.G.C.C Association of Plastic Surgeons Meeting 20-23rd March, Kuwait.
6.CME on Orthognathic Surgery at Trichur, Kerala 1994.
7. 29th National Conference of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of IndiaSeptember, 1994.
8. First Middle East Conference on Head & Neck, Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery December, 1996 Kuwait.
9. Recent Trends in Burns April, 1999 Kuwait.
10.Update & Workshop on Microsurgery - Prof. Fu chan Wei, Taiwan.
Oct. 1- 4 2000, held in Kuwait.
11.Recent Trends in the Fluid Management of the Burn -Dr. Mark Ansermino,
St. Andrew's Hospital U.K.5.11.2000., held in Kuwait
12.Super Microsurgery on Perforator Flaps –Prof. Isao Koshima, Japan, 8-11th January, 2001., held in Kuwait
13. Prof. Isao Koshima, Japan, 8-11 January, 2001., held in Kuwait
14. Recent Trends in Head & Neck Reconstruction -Prof. Isao Koshima, Japan, 11.1.2001., held in Kuwait.
15. International Breast Symposium
17-19th February, 2001 Kuwait.