Dermatology, an essential part of medical science is making sky-high advances thus remaining at par with other specialties. The dermatology department at Amala strives to make fruitful contribution to this growing field.
All working days - 8 AM to 4 PM
Speciality Clinics - Hair clinic on Thursdays, Pediatric Dermatology clinic on Fridays, and Acne clinic on Saturdays
Well-trained staff caters to the needs of Out Patient (OP) as well as In Patients (IP). Department undertakes undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. The department has Skin ICU for seriously ill patients, two well-equipped Operation Theatre (OT). Laser surgery and photo therapy facilities.
» Patch testing
» Vitiligo surgeries
» Chemical peeling
» Laser treatment
» Excision of various skin tumors
National Paediatric Dermatology Conference was held in November 2007. More than 500 Dermatologists and Pediatricians from different parts of the country participated in the event.
This institute is recognized as a Center for Dermatological Training by the IADVL. The department provides dermatosurgery training for dermatologists once a year.
Amala Gold Medal exam for postgraduates in the field of dermatology is held in the month of June every year. Eight such examinations have been conducted till date with overwhelming reponse.
Clinical dermatology training for upcoming dermatologists is conducted regularly.
"Dermpath Classroom" - 3 days training programme for Post Graduate students of Dermatology from all over India. Two such programmes have been conducted till date.
"Advance in Dermatology" - a CME on recent development in the field of dermatology, is conducted every two years.
Amala Dermatology Oration is conducted every two years wherein eminent dermatologists from various parts of the country are invited for oration.
Regular Clinical Researches
|Date of Birth|
|Dr. Sebastian Criton V J||Professor & HOD||MD Derm. & Ven. 1991||22 years 6 months||16-05-1956||Profile|
|Dr. Abel Francis||Associate Professor||MD Derm. & Ven. 1994||11 years 5 months||07-09-1964||Profile|
|Dr. Mohamed Nazeer||Assistant Professor||MD Derm. & Ven. 1997||6 years||08-05-1965||Profile|
|Dr. Anitta Sebastian||Assistant Professor||DNB 2012||11years 5 months||25.02.1969||Profile|
|Dr. Rasmi Mary Philip||Senior Resident||DNB 2010||9 years||06.09.1974||Profile|
|Dr. Berdy Jose||Senior Resident||MD Derm. & Ven. 2016||3 months||06.11.1987||Profile|
|Dr. Anjali Ullas||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Nithu B Johns||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Ave Maria||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Rajalakshmi V P||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Aravind S||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Haseena Hassan CK||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Roshan Mary George||Junior Resident||Profile|
|Dr. Sarika P||Junior Resident||Profile|
Positions held :
1. Junior doctor in Orthopedics (St. Joseph's Hospital, Choondal, Thrissur
2. Junior Doctor (St. Joseph's Hospital, Vellad, Kannur)
3. Senior Resident in Internal Medicine (Calicut Medical College)
4. General practitioner (Own, Vettichira, Malappuram)
5. Tutor in Dermatology & Venereology (Thrissur & Kottayam Govt. Medical College)
6. Lecturer in Dermatology & Venereology (Thrissur Medical College)
7. Assistant Professor (Thrissur Medical College)
8. Associate Professor (Dept. of Dermatology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences)
9. Professor & Head (Dept. of Dermatology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences)
1. More than 50 publications in National & International Journals
2. Contributed chapters in API Textbook of Medicine and IADVL Textbook of Dermatology and venereology
3. Invited faculty for various State, National & International Seminars & Symposia
4. Chairpersons for various conferences
5. Editor of Kerala Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology
6. Editor of Indian Journal of Paediatric Dermatology
Non Academic :
1. Past President - IADVL , Kerala Chapter
2. Past Secretary - IADVL , Kerala Chapter
3. National Vice-President, ISPD
4. Secretary IMA, Thrissur
1. Fellowship of Asia Academy of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology
2. "Teacher par Excellence" - 2013
Special Interest : Trichology Amala Hair Clinic In-charge
Membership : IMA, IADVL, CSI, ACSI
Positions held: Senior Lecturer in Plastic Surgery, Medical college, Thrissur
Consultant Dermatologist - Westfort Hospital, Thrissur
Membership : IADVL
Positions held: Lecturer in Plastic Surgery, Thrissur Medical College (2004-2005)
Junior Resident, Dept. of Dermatology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences (2006-2010)
Senior Resident, Dept. of Dermatology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences (2010-2012)
Membership : IADVL
Positions held: Consultant Dermatologist, Thrissur District Co-operative Hospital & Elite Mission Hospital
Membership : IADVL, ISPD, CSI
Special interest: Acne, Dermato Surgery
1. Dr. Abel Francis, Dr. S Criton, Dr. Anitta Shojan, Dr. Rashmi Philip, Dr. Mohamed Nazeer. ‘An unusual presentation of greying of hair’. International Journal of Trichology. (Letter to editor) – Apr – Jun 2015, Vol 7, issue 2 page 85.
2. Geethu Gangadharan, S Criton and Divya Surendran.Acquired idiopathic generalized anhidrosis. Indian Journal of Dermatology. 2015, 60(4) : 422.
3. Kundoli V Suseela, Criton , Santhosh Patil, Geethu . A case of Erysipeloid with lesions along the lymphatics – case report. Journal of academy of clinical microbiology. Journal of the Academy of Clinical Microbiologist Jan – June 2015; Vol 17; issue 1: 45-47.
4. Livea Lalji TL , Milu Maria Anto, Anita Shojan, and Sebastian Criton VJ. Self-Efficacy, Perceived Social Support And Quality Of Life Of Females With Acne And Eczema. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2015; 6(1) : 1328.
5. Jose Tarun, Jose Susan, Jacob Suria, Veronica John Susan, Sebastian Criton Evaluation of pH of Bathing Soaps and Shampoos for Skin and Hair Care. Indian J Dermatol. 2014 Sep-Oct; 59(5): 442–444.
6. Dr. Abel Francis, Dr. S Criton, Dr. Anitta Shojan, Dr. Rashmi Philip . Micropigmentation in vitiligo of lateral lower lip. Journal of Cutaneous and aesthetic surgery. (Letter to editor) – October-December 2013, 6(4):236-237.
7. Abel Francis, Sandhya Acharya, Anitta Shojan, Rashmi Mary Philip, S.Criton. Subcutaneous panniculitis- like T- cell lymphoma - a case report.. Indian Journal of Dermatology- 2010; 55 (3), p290-292.