Biochemistry is a subject that is growing at a very fast pace, as seen from the number of leading journals, publications and citations of publications. It is a subject which is very active in research, teaching and service (Clinical Biochemistry investigations).
1. MBBS teaching program. 2. M.D. program with 3 MD students. 3. Ph.D. program with 3 Ph.D. Candidates (Guide: Dr. Jose Jacob).
Maintains a high quality clinical Biochemistry Lab performing more than 2000 tests per day with about 120 different tests Equipped with:
a) Autoanalysers for general biochemistry tests – 2, one
b) Chemiluminescence immunochemistry autoanalysers – 3 Nos (OCD Vitro ECI; Beckmann Coulter Access 2; Diasorin Liaison),
c) Fluorescence immunochemistry autoanalyser – 1 No. (Biomereau Mini Vidas)
d) Blood gas analyser – 1
e) Electrolyte analysers - 3,
f) Automated electrophoresis – 1
g) Automated Chromatography machine for HbA1c
5. Has research programs leading to M.Sc. dissertation for candidates from other institutions.
Accreditation of the Clinical Laboratory, and establishment of Metabolic Disorders Laboratory and Molecular Biology Laboratory are future projects.
|Dr. Jose Jacob||Professor and HOD|
|Dr. Ajith T A||Professor|
|Dr. Sindu P C||Professor|
|Dr. Kavitharati Dharwadkar||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Al Ameen A S||Tutor|
|Dr. Navya Jathavedan||Tutor|
|Dr. Lorentia Joseph||Tutor|
MBBS in 1981 Govt. Medical College, Trivandrum. M.D.(Biochemistry): Dec. 1984, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Diploma in Computer Applications, 1992 (6 months part time course).Experience such as : Postdoctoral Research after M.D.: 7 years (Jan. 1985 to Dec. 1991). 3 years at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. 3 years at Sree Chitra Tirunal Inst. of Sci. & Tech., Thiruvananthapuram. 1 year at Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad. Teaching experience (from Jan 1992, 22.5 years):
a) Kasturba Medical College, Manipal:
* Assistant Professor: Jan 1992 to July 1993 * Associate Professor: July 1993 to Oct 2001 * Additional Professor: Oct 2001 to May 2003
b) Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Thrissur:
* Professor and Head of Department of Biochemistry: from May 2003
* Has taught/guided and has been examiner for Ph.D., M.D., MBBS, BDS.
M.Sc.(Biochemistry), B.Sc.MLT, BDS, B.Pharm., Bio. Med. Engg., B.Sc. Nursing.
Having 4 major publications.
Received M.Sc. Medical Biochemistry from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka, India with FIRST RANK in 1996 and Ph. D in Medical Biochemistry from Research Centre of Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Thrissur, Kerala, India in 2004. He has researched and authored 55 articles in peer-reviewed national and international journals and 5 chapters in text books. His research is primarily focused on the role of natural compounds in cancer chemoprevention and their impact on the mitochondrial energy status. He serves as Editorial Board Member for 11 indexed scientific journals and reviewer for many National and International journals. Scientific research output: ‘h index ‘in 2014 =17; with total number of citations 875 (Published in SCOPUS, 2014).He is an active Lab Assessor for NABH-Lab certification programme, Quality Council of India (QCI) and co-principal investigator of several research projects.
MBBS from Government Medical College, Calicut in 1996. MD Biochemistry from Government Medical College, Calicut in 2004. Lecturer in Biochemistry, Government Medical College, Thrissur. Membership in Professional Societies - Member of Association of Medical Biochemistry Teachers (AMBiT). Life Member of Indian Medical Assosciation.
MBBS from Al-Ameen Medical college, Bijapur in 2006. MD from St John's Medical College, Bengaluru in 2011. DNB (Biochemistry) from National Boards of Examinations in 2011. As PG cum Tutor for B.Sc. Nursing, B.Sc. MLT, M.Sc. MLT, B.Sc. RD, B.Sc. PT, MBBS during 2008-2011. Assistant Professor for MBBS and B.Sc. Nursing students. Winner of Nadeem Firdous "Best Pre-Clinical Lady" award in 2002. Having 2 International Publications in reputed indexed journals.
1. John S, Dharwadkar K, Motagi MV.Study On Association Between Lipid Profile Values And Psychiatric Disorders. J ClinDiagn Res. 2014 Dec;8(12):WC04-6.
2. Dharwadkar K, BijoorA. Comparative study of Adenosine deaminase and Adenosine deaminase ratio in diagnosis of tuberculous ascites. Jder Phar For.2014;2(2):198-201.
3. Motagi MV, Kottapurath SR, Dharwadkar K. Morphometric analyses of human dry tali of South Indian origin. Int J Med Sci Public Health. 2015; 4(2): 237-240.
4. Rony KA, Ajith TA, Nima N, Janardhanan KK. Hypolipidemic activity of Phellinus rimosus against triton WR-1339 and high cholesterol diet induced hyperlipidemic rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014;37:482-92.
5. Ajith TA, Nima N, Veena RK, Janardhanan KK, Antonawich F. Effect of Palladium α-Lipoic Acid Complex on Energy in the Brain Mitochondria of Aged Rats. Altern Ther Health Med. 2014;20:27-35.
6. Gibi VJ, Ajith TA. Role of adipokines and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. World J Hepatol.2014;6:570-9.
7. Sunilkumar MN, Ajith TA, Parvathy VK. Acute ammonium dichromate poisoning in a 2 year-old child. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2014;18:757-8.
8. Ajith TA, Jayakumar TG. Mitochondria-targeted agents: Future perspectives of mitochondrial pharmaceutics in cardiovascular diseases. World J Cardiol. 2014;6:1091-9.
9. Sunilkumar MN, Ajith TA. Kohler’s disease of the Tarsal navicular in a 7 years old child. Ann Paediatr Rheum. 2014; 3: 135-137.
10. Ajith TA and Janardhanan KK. Cracked-Cap medicinal mushroom Phellinus rimosus (Higher Basidiomycetes) attenuate the ethanol induced lipid peroxidation in mice. Int J Med Mushr. 2015;17:1061-7.
11. Ajith TA. Strategies used in the clinical trials of gene therapy for cancer. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2015;11:33-9.
12. Ajith TA, Padmajanair G. Mitochondrial pharmaceutics: A new therapeutic strategy to ameliorate oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease. Curr Aging Sci.2015;8:235-40.
13. Ajith TA, Ranimenon. Homocysteine in ocular diseases. Clin Chim Acta. 2015;450:316-21.
14. Ajith TA. Modulation of Mammalian target of rapamycin signal machinery in human cancer. Indian J Cancer Edu Res.2015;3: 17-25.
15. John ANC, Ajith TA. Intraoral complications associated with multiple myeloma: Case Reports. Med-Science. 2015;4:2229-35.
16. Sunilkumar MN, Ajith TA, Parvathy VK. Acute dapsone poisoning in a 3 years old child: Case report with review of literature. World J Clin Cases. 2015;3:911-4.
17. Veena RK, Ajith TA, Janardhanan KK, Antonawich F. Poly-MVA attenuates 7,12- dimethylbenz [a] anthracene initiated and croton oil promoted skin papilloma formation on mice skin. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2015; 11:125-132.
18. Ajith TA. A recent update on the extracellular micro RNA as novel biomarkers in the diagnosis of human cancers. Indian J Cancer Edu Res. 2016 (Accepted).
19. Lathika VK, Ajith TA. Association of grade of cataract with duration of diabetes, age and gender in patients with type II diabetes mellitus. Int J Adv Med.2016 (Accepted).
20. Ajith TA, Hema U, Aswathy MS. Zingiber officinale roscoe ameliorates the anticancer drug doxorubicin-induced acute cardiotoxicity. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2016 (In Press).